Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

In your message of Mon, 14 Feb 1994 10:21:00 PST, you write:
+---------------
| On Mon, 14 Feb 1994, Sunando Sen wrote:
| I think Sun's intention with /opt was to help keep separate the original
| filesystems and optional software. Something we shouldn't forget is that
| one of the key features of Debian is the packaging system, which makes
+------------->8

Something you're forgetting is that Linux package systems so far are basically
cheap one-offs of the SVR4 package system which Solaris uses...

/opt is intended to make optional packages *exportable*.  NFS servers can make
packages in their /var available both individually and as a collection, and
individual workstations can mount either all or individually, as desired.
(One might wish to arrange for low-memoy workstations to not by default mount
packages that require a lot of RAM...)  This is not an issue which we need to
worry about at present; how many Linux NFS servers are there?  (And why would
anyone run one, until someone gets large packets working?)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery	   kf8nh@kf8nh.ampr.org		 bsa@kf8nh.wariat.org
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years