Re: (Re)-Organize the Debian l10n-vi team

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Duy Hung Tran wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 08:19:20PM +0700, Benoit Perdu - TransMékong wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am a resident in Cần Thơ, and I could give a hand. I speak and
> > write Vietnamese well, and have some experience in the semantic
> > difficulties of translation.
> >
> > I would need some advice and suggestions as well.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On 07/12/2010 16:57, An Nguyen wrote:
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >I'm An NGUYEN from Saigon Linux User Group, a LUG in Saigon,
> > >Vietnam. I'm going to (re)organize the l10n-vi team for Debian. I
> > >just want to know if there is anyone else on this mailing list
> > >still want to help translating Debian 6.0 into Vietnamese. So far,
> > >I've recruited only 3 guys from the local community. If anyone
> > >want to join, please let me know.
> > >
> > >Beside, this is the first for me and the other guys to translate
> > >packages for Debian, so I hope that we can receive some advices,
> > >suggestions from anyone who is working in Debian project.
> > >
> > >Cheers!
> > >An.
> > >

> Hi An,
> I've already joined SaigonLUG, but not HanoiLUG :). But it's ok, it's harmless when subscribing many Linux mailing lists :).
>
> Hi Ben,
> It's great to know that you are in Can Tho. We could meet and talk about Debian translation or anything else, like fostering Linux community in Mekong Delta :).
>
> All the best,
> Hung

Hi guys,

I am member of HanoiLUG, SaigonLUG, and Ubuntu-VN, mostly as a
lurker.  Hope I'm allowed to be with you guys on Debian l10n-vi
project.

Although I'm using Debian and Gentoo GNU/Linux at the moment, I have
been a Ubuntu translator and packager for a while (find me on
Launchpad).  So I have some suggestions to the project before going
into progress.

  - l10n and i18n are different processes.  A lot of people have
    mistaken about this.  The short reason is that i18n help people
    display the messages in their own languages, but l10n includes the
    process of *translating and adapting* them, e.g. modifying the
    whole encoding system, fonts, ...
  - For Ubuntu translators: Translating Ubuntu is very easy since we
    have a web tool (hosted on Launchpad) to help us translating in a
    collaborating way, thus makes the translation process faster.  For
    Debian, according to what I know, we have to translate each file,
    each package, and commit them separately.  Very time consuming and
    lots of essential mistakes.
  - Debian has a huge repository, so before going into details, we
    have to delineate a set of packages we are going to focus on
    translation.

Please, correct me if you find me wrong.  Any additional information
is very welcome.

@An Nguyen: We have met on SFD 2010, I was the guy from OLPC-VN in
Hanoi :-).

P.S.  Should we have an IRC channel for fast discussion and direct
meeting?

Best regards,
--
Yang Nguyen