Problems to shutdown Lenny (it was Re: Hibernate - Is it safe?)

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having my share of problems with the hibernate feature in Lenny.
>
> If I shutdown the laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) from a clean reboot using
>
> sudo shutdown -h now
>
> Then it shuts down properly.
>
> However if I
>
> hibernate -> reboot -> shutdown
>
> then the shutdown process hangs indefinitely. The hard drive LED keep
> glowing. Now the only way to switch it off is to press the "POWER" button
> and risk loosing the data.

I have a related problem:

In GNOME, if I go to System > Shut Down, and click on the "Shut Down"
button, that window hangs (!). I can still click on the X in that
window, and the desktop refreshes, but the system does not shut down.
The other buttons (Suspend, Hibernate, etc.) work though.

The only way to shut down the system is to open an xterm window and
type in the shutdown command.

Does anyone else here have the same problem?
Any ideas how that can be fixed?

> I Never had the time to debug the issue. So, I left it in one of my "to-do"
> lists. For now, I am not using the hibernate feature. May be when Lenny is
> released, I will give it a try.

(You mean when Lenny becomes stable, right?)
D.