Re: about the advantage of 64 bit processor

2005/12/1, JULIO Cayo <cubiertasnuevas@gmail.com>:
> Hi, I don't speak Inglish, but I try.
> I have an amd64 (+3200) processor (512 mb) , and obviusly , debian
> sarge amd64. My question is: which program do you experiment a big
> difference beetwen 32 bit and 64 bit.
> I use a common aplication and the performce is equal to 32 bit program.
> Thanks.

There's no big difference in performance on normal desktop
applications like openoffice (mmm bad example, no 64bit port of that
one ) and so. But there's a big one, 64 bit programs are more memory
hungry than 32 bit ones (as far as i know because some data, memory
pointers and maybe something else is now 64 bit long instead of 32).

Programs that have an increase of speed in 64 bits compared to 32 bit
ones maybe video editing, and all those apps calculus intensive, that
don't need to move high amount of data to memory (because as mentioned
above, the same apps in 64 bit need more memory than 32 bit ones so
need more bandwith, so memory access makes 64 bit apps slower than 32
bit ones) (but i haven't noticed any performance lost when moving to
64 bit, the increase in memory consumption  yes, but nothing else).

I feel like compilations, some rendering and video encoding are a bit
faster than before ("bit" means a few seconds, nothing impressive)

That's my point of view/personal experience
Aritz Beraza
--
Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei]
[ WWW ]  http://evangelion.homelinux.net