[wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org: Re: Debian NIS = SunOs crash ? (FWD'd)]

Tiene esto que ver con el problema que alguien más había reportado con SunOS
(lo que me preocupa ahora es que acá pidieron Solaris/x86...)

					Marcelo
--- Begin Message ---
Previously Jaakko Niemi wrote:
> Why does NIS have to repeat the broadcast? We don't answer back.

The default NIS configuration (not only for Debian by the way) uses
a broadcast to look for a NIS server. This is easy for users: they
don't have to enter the name of a NIS server. And it's nice for the
admins: of one NIS servers fails and you have a second server in the
subnet it will be used automatically.

> What is wrong with the configuration or start up of NIS under Linux (as far
> as I know all machines run Debian). Is it a bug in NIS?

No, it's not a bug.

> How can I prevent the broadcast (note that I can't change the Linux machines,
> but I can relay a request to change something to the sysadmins of those
> machines)?

Look at /etc/yp.conf. Uncomment the last line and change the NIS server
to the name of your server.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl

--- End Message ---