Re: festival freezing the machine

fredm@chesf.gov.br disse:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry by cross-posting. replyes should be send to festival-talk.
>
> I'm trying to use festival in my machine:
> pentium 4
> sound:
>       chipset i810
>       model AC'97
> OS: debian testing, kernel 2.4.22
> festival instalation: apt-get install festival emacspeak eflite
>
> My problem:
>
> when I type (SayText "hello") festival says the text and my computer
> freezes.
>
> I try to create a .wav using text2wave and execute with xmms. and the
> computer
> plays the sound ok. but when I close xmms the computer freezes.
>
> I try another .wav (a music) and that's ok with xmms. Note that
> execute the .wav generated by text2wave don't freeze the machine
> imediately. just when xmms closes.
>
> I try Audio_Method = linux16audio
> and Audio_Method = audio_Command as in
> (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/cgi-bin/lists.cgi?config=festival_faq&entry=arunning_festival/speed.html)
>
> the .wav generadet by text2wave plays nice in windows XP.
>
> when the computer freeze is not just keyboard and mouse. I try
> shutdown -h +1 before SayText and nothing happens. I try to
> ssh my machine after freezing and nothing happens too.
>
> Is there any audio_method that I should try?
> is there any config file that I should edit?
>
>       Fred

Try to roll your test out from the XFree environment to see what happen's.
Isn't there a verbose/debug flag to set to the app? If there is, use it
and  send us the debug output content. I'm pretty sure you'll find a
curses interface to get rid from XFree for this test, just to be sure what
is crashing: I/O, XFree or something else. To let us know wich soundlib
you're using can help us too.

ps: Is this a cross-posting with a en-us maillist?

HTH,

RSalles