Debian XFree86 - Xlib and internationalization

Mr. Branden,

At first, excuse me for my poor english.
There is an issue that is being around from some days in the
debian-user-portuguese list, about some difficulties to make X working
in the right fashion with our (and others) language(s).These
difficulties prevent us from correctly type a large set of portuguese
words, because some some not-so-well-written third-party applications
(like StarOffice, WordPerfect, GtkExtText lib and others) do not handle
correctly keystrokes needed to type a word as "coração" (heart), but
"coracao".

One workaround to this problem is the Quinot's Xlib patch (with some
conffiles hacking). After we install by hand the patched version, every
program just work fine. The drawback is, as this patch is not inside any
package of the Debian Distribution, we must _really_ do it _by_hand_,
even downloading the XFree86 source, applying the patch, recompilig it
to get _only_one_ library that will meet our needs to make our system
accept our language input without errors.

It would be a _very_ good idea to simplify this process, making it an
optional package, or in another way that could address this problem.

Surely all the debian-user-portuguese list would be pleased to discuss
this topic with you, and help whatever we can.

Thank you

Cláudio da Silveira Pinheiro
taupter@baydenet.com.br
debian-user-portuguese@lists.debian.org