From: Mike Tran <mhtran@us.ibm.com>
To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Cc: hn75@gmx.d
Subject: Re: recorvery from Raid5 multiple disk failture
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:40:18 -0600

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 06:45, Hendrik Naumann wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Linux-Software-Raid5 consisting of three partitions (hda2,
> hde2 and hdf2). After a failure of hdf I replaced the disk and added
> hdf2 into the raid again. During the resynchronization process hda
> broke down.
>
> I am not completely shure how much of the synchronization
> was already done, but I think it was quite at the end, because the
> gzipped dd-image of hdf2 and hde2 have very similar sizes.
>
> mdadm shows hde2 as a active, clean disk within the raid and hdf2 as
> clean spare disk. In the Software-Raid-Howto it was stated that
> rewriting the superblocks (I suspect hdf2 to clean active) could be
> possibility to regain some data from the Raid.
>
> How is this possible with mdadm? Or is there some other tool for
> manipulation the superblocks?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Hendrik Naummann
>
> PS. Please add a CC hn75@gmx.de because up to now I am no subscriber
> to this list.

Since the recovery did not finish, I would do the followings:

mdadm --examine /dev/hde2 to display the raid5 configuration and note
the chunksize, parity layout, disks order,..
Recreate the array using mdadm -C with "missing" keyword
Mount the raid5 array read-only (hope that it will mount :)

--
Mike T.

--
PGP ID 65C92061