Re: boot + lvm ?

Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 14:24, Stephane Durieux a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I encounter a problem using lvm and lilo.
> On standart install, everythings works despite the boot partition is on a
> logical volum.
>
> But when I try to make a custom kernel and then run a lilo, I get the
> following message: device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or
> address
> Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed
[...]

LVM only installs used to work, with lilo as the bootloader, but since ~kernel
2.6.17+udev, it does not anymore.
Read the full history here :

I had the surprise one day, with my workstation, it could not boot after a
kernel upgrade (I was following etch/testing).
I had to repartition an create a separate /boot.
I do that systematically since, 100Mo as the first partition. So that I can
use grub again, which is less dangerous.