Re: Speedtouch : bonjour la galère

Le Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:47:45 +0100 Frédéric Bothamy
<frederic.bothamy@free.fr> a écrit :

> Suivre les instructions de "Comment signaler un bogue dans Debian" :
>
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
>
> En utilisant reportbug, c'est très simple de fournir toutes les
> informations demandées.

j'ai posté ceci. Puis-je faire mieux ?

Package: speedtouch
Version: speedtouch_1.3.1-3_i386.deb

Installing speedtouch USB modem has allways been a great problem for me
(Sarge 3.1) :

1) I definitely need the speedtouch kernel module, so don't disactivate
the loading in /etc/hotplug/blacklist
2) After doing all the things pointed
in /usr/share/doc/speedtouch/Readme.Debian, I needed some more
configuration : /etc/ppp/chap-secrets was enough on a LFS system, but
with Debian I need /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (?)
3) Some ppp_* modules need to be loaded before everything works (and THIS
is definitely not indicated in the Readme.Debian documentation) :
ppp_synctty, ppp_async and ppp_deflate, and maybe pppoatm (I'm not sure
EVERYTHING is needed).

After all this, the connection works. But I lost some configuration after
downloading security upgrades on Internet with aptitude, and this has not
yet been investigated.

I think the Debian documentation going with the packet should be modified
with a section : "what should you check if it doesn't work", especially
where to find clues about what is going wrong.

Hope this will be useful to others.

\bye

--

                   Nicolas FRANCOIS