impossible to start mysql

I try to install mysql 3.23 on mandrake 9.0 but I have somme problems

first I have this problem /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-service: line 27:
[: : integer expression expected a the end of install
i saw for mandrake 9.1 a patch so i modified my add-service in rpm-
helper
but after that a the end of install i receive this
message /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete
and impossible t start mysql with safe_mysqld
error message is : shell-init: could not get current directory:
getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
pwd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
030724 13:44:37  mysqld ended

please help me
thanks