Re: Evolution multilingual spellchecking in Debian Etch (Newbie).

On 12/1/06, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 18:10 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> Thanks for replying. OK, here is what I did. I downloaded
> aspell5-id-1.2-0.tar.bz2 and then unpacked the archive. The ReadMe
> file explained how to compile it (newbie, I have never tried this
> before). I followed the instructions and here were the results:
>
> $ ./configure
> Finding Dictionary file location ... /usr/lib/aspell
> Finding Data file location ... /usr/lib/aspell
> $ make
> /usr/bin/word-list-compress d < id.cwl | /usr/bin/aspell  --lang=id
> create master ./id.rws
> $ sudo make install
> mkdir -p /usr/lib/aspell/
> cp id.rws id.multi indonesian.alias /usr/lib/aspell/
> cd /usr/lib/aspell/ && chmod 644 id.rws id.multi indonesian.alias
> mkdir -p /usr/lib/aspell/
>
> As far as I can tell, there were not any errors (please confirm), but
> when I open Evolution, there is still no Indonesian spellchecking
> available. Any ideas?

Seems alright, but I have very little experience with aspell. Did you
make sure that aspell can find and use the dictionary before trying
Evolution? The README in aspell5-id-1.2-0.tar.bz2 explains how to do
this.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson

Are you refering to this?

"If any of the above mentioned programs are not in your path than the
variables, ASPELL and/or PREZIP need to be set to the
commands (with path) to run the utilities.  These variables may be set
in the environment before configure is run or specified at the command
line using the following syntax
 ./configure --vars VAR1=VAL1 ...
Other useful variables configure recognizes are ASPELL_PARMS, and DESTDIR."

I am a newbie, I have absolutely no idea what this means or what to do.

Cheers,

Brian