LILO boots automatically

I've compiled a kernel and tested it using a
floppy disk, everything worked fine except some
problem related with the system.map I guess, but
this is not what my question is about.

Then I wanted to boot the new kernel by simply
adding a few extra lines to lilo.conf and run
lilo. But now I realize that when I boot up the
syste, I dont get a "boot: " messagefrom where
I can choose which kernel to load, instead the
system boots up the kernel it wants to !! I feel
like the lilo cannot make sense of whats in
lilo.conf.

Does anybody have a working lilo.conf with a few
extra options such as offering two+ kernels a
boot time, thanks.

Fethi Okyar
Research Assistant
Computational Solid Mechanics