Re: Is ssh 2 incompatible with ssh 1?

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 23:40:57 +0000, Marc Haber wrote:
> However, I have been told that lsh uses scheme which is not free in a
> Debian sense. Thus, lsh will not yield a "true free" version of ssh which
> is what the world _urgently_ needs.

You're misinformed.

- Scheme is a programming language, not a piece of software.
- Free implementations of Scheme exist in Debian, e.g. Guile.
- lsh does not use a Scheme interpreter at run-time.

The issue is:
- The build process of lsh currently uses scripts that use  "scsh", a Scheme
  interpreter with support for writing shell scripts.
- "scsh" is not free software at the moment.

This issue is minor for the following reasons:
- The "scsh" copyright holders have been asked to free it. They are willing
  to do so, but currently do not have the time to handle the paperwork
  involved. Thus, "scsh" can be expected to become free.
- The "scsh" scripts used in the build process are fairly small.
  Should "scsh" not be freed by the time lsh is sufficiently stable to be
  part of Debian, they can be adapted to work with a free Scheme
  implementation without to much effort, or rewritten in a different
  scripting language (they do text processing; Perl or Python would be good
  candidates).

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig