Re: W95 defrag [also lilo+Linux+Win98 FAT32]

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 09:39:12PM -0400, Jan Muszynski wrote:

> On 23 Apr 99, at 23:45,  Matt Folwell
>  wrote about Re: W95 defrag [also lilo+Linux+Win:
>
> > Which FM did you find this is?  I've been unable to boot windows from lilo
>
> /usr/docs/lilo/manual.txt.gz (or something like that, case might be off)

D'oh!  Now why didn't I think of that?

> > since I moved it (windows) to /dev/hdc.  I'd guess I need to use 0x82 where
> > you've used 0x81, but I'd rather make sure before I risk it, and I can't
> > see map-drive mentioned in the lilo.conf man page.
>
> You can try it, but you might have a problem booting windows off
> anything other than the first 2 drives. The one thing about MS OS's
> in general (except for NT) they need to boot off of the the primary,
> active partition, and I believe it can be the only primary partition
> visible on the drive.
>

> > For a while I was able to boot windows using other=/dev/hdc but this
> > suddenly stopped working, saying "Missing Operating System"  Does anyone
> > know what could cause that?
>
> What primary partitions do you have on the first 2 drives? Did this
> change between then and now?

It works now, thanks.  I did need 0x81, which I suppose is consistent
with my bios setup - of ide-0, -1, -2 and -3 I have to use ide-1 to boot
the second hard drive, even though it's the third ide device.

Maybe I should have given more details of my setup:
/dev/hda has 2 primary partitions for linux- / and swap, and an extended
partition with a few linux partitions and one fat32 one.
/dev/hdb is my cd rom drive
/dev/hdc has my primary win95 partition and another swap partition for
linux (also primary)

Anyway, either of these entries in lilo.conf will now boot windows:

other=/dev/hdc
label=Win95
  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80

other=/dev/hdc1
label=Win2
table=/dev/hdc
  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80

I wonder which is better.
I also now have 2 boot menus to go through before windows loads, and
they both default to linux :-)

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk