Re: Banshee

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Eric wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 03:37:47PM -0400, shaleh@clifford.livenet.net wrote:
> > Banshee cards are not currently supported.  A coworker of mine sold his and
> > bought a TNT.  Cheaper and in all ways a better card.
> >
> > It can be forced to work by using the frame buffer console and Xframebuffer
> > BUT it is non acclerated and is a waste of card.
>
> I have to disagree with this.  Check out
> http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html  There is an Xserver
> being developed for the banshee.

 I hadn't heard that the 3dfx stuff was being released as open-source,
though I'd be happy to be proven wrong. From what I've heard they've been
exclusively binary-only releases.

> As far as I know, NVidia has not shown anything in the way of linux
> support. Granted, the TNT2 is going to be a better card than the
> banshee/voodoo3, but what good is it if they have no linux support?

 nVidia has worked with the XFree86 group, and has released their 2D
driver as open-source, after some initial stumbling. There are also
credible reports of their working on Linux 3D acceleration.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other invention
  in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
                           Mitch Radcliffe