Newbie Questions

Hi, everyone!  I have used various versions of RedHat and SuSE for about
ten months and have decided to give Debian a try.  Unfortunately, the
coddling of the configuration tools in each distro has left me with only a
scant knowledge of where things are kept in the configuration file.
Here's my problem of the moment.  I copied over the .fetchmailrc file from
my current RH setup.  It connects splendidly, but returns this message
when it tries to transfer the messages:

45 messages for cmayes at my.isp.imap.server (202838 octets).
reading message 1 of 45 (1039 header octets) .fetchmail: SMTP listener
doesn't like recipient address `cmayes@localhost'
fetchmail: can't even send to cmayes!
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
my.isp.imap.server
fetchmail: Query status=10

Where would the SMTP listener get the cmayes@localhost information?  I
have the "hostname" file set to "cmayes," which seems to have worked in
previos scenarios.  I'm trying to pull the maill off of the server using
IMAP.  If I need to supply any more info, plese let me know!

I have a great deal to learn about the manual configuration of the innards
of Linux (Specifically Debian, if all goes well), but I look forward to
the challenge.

One last thing:  I have decided to live dangerously and open up my apt-get
to the unstable tree.  The main reason was that I wanted to upgrade Window
Maker to the latest build.  However, when I apt-got the wmaker-gnome file,
it decidedthat it needed to pull down 250 (!!) other packages while it was
at it.  Since I've always been the adventurous type, I've decided to let
apt-get upgrade half of my system to the unstable packages.  Is this
unwise/stupid to do?  I still have more stable Linux installs (RH 5.2 and
SuSE 5.3) on other partitions in case of disaster.  Plus, this box is far
from mission-critical (aside from typing papers, coding, and checking
e-mail ;-)).

Oh, that reminds me: where do I set the default windowmanager?  Since I
wasn't given the option of making Window Maker the default during the
setup, it comes up on some version of fvwm, and I have to make a number of
mouse movements to get where I want to go (oh, the humanity!).  WEll,
that's all for now.  Thanks in advance!

-Chris