Re: kernel compile

1. If your CPU is overclocked, PUT IT BACK. Compiling will clobber
overclocked CPU's.

2. If you have a PII, make sure it is not "overmarked". One of those lower
speed CPU's that have had the markings changed to pretend to be a faster
CPU.

3. Make sure the motherboard CPU voltage is set properly. If it is a 2.8v
CPU, make sure the voltage is 2.8 and not 3.1 or 3.3.

4. Check the CPU fan. Make sure it is operating and make sure the heatsink
fins are not clogged with dust.

5. Make sure the heatsink is large enough. Those dinky-assed "low-profile"
heatsink/fans are worth less than nothing.

6. Add heatsink compound between CPU and Heatshink.

7. If the fan is not directly on the CPU but is mounted remotely and blows
onto a large heatsink (AST, Gateway, etc) make sure that ALL covers are in
place on the case and all unused slots are covered. No air leaks.

8. Replace the RAM or remove half, if that does not fix the problem, swap
the remaining with the half that you removed.

9. 90% of the time it is overheat due to overclocking or inadequate
coolong.