Re: Is this why you shouldn't log in as root?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:53:18PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:43:45PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Why?  What's the diffie between that and logging in as <user> and
> > then doing "su -"?  It's not like I live logged in to root...
>
> Because you're more likely to drop back to your normal user when
> you're done, and you're not going to be doing anything else as root,
> so why interrupt your session?

If there's a little thing that has to be done as root in
the middle of a normal user session, we'll use su or sudo
or whatever.  If we come in to do a root job and log in as
root, there's no user session to interrupt.  And why should
we remember to back out of a su session better than out of
a root login?  And should we be allowed to use the machine
anyway if we're so forgetful?

> Because logging in as root when you don't need it is stupid and
> everybody at your LUG will laugh in your face.

Wow!  That clinches it.  There's no actual reason, but it's
stupid.  Who's going to laugh in whose face?

--
David Jardine
"Running Debian/GNU Linux and