Re: apr-get local files

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 09:28:55AM +1000, David Pastern spake thusly:
> Steve said:
>
> I know apt-get works great for installing remote files, but how could you
> install a deb file you have installed on you local machine.  Looking in the
> man page for apt-get I didn't see an option for installing a local file.
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
>
> Dave says: Like others have said the way to install .deb files locally on
> your machine is:
>
> dpkg -i packagename.deb
>
> Read man dpkg (well at least some of the man page lol).  Also, as far as i'm
> aware, dpkg won't look at dependencies, so be careful when installind .debs
> in that manner.

Not true at all. In fact dpkg is what apt-get runs to install packages!

Think of it this way: dselect chooses packages. Apt-get downloads them.
dpkg actually installs them. You can forget dselect and just use apt-get
if you know the name of the package, or you can use dpkg if you don't
need to download it and have the package just there.

If you're missing some dependencies when you try dpkg -i, it dpkg will
complain about the missing packages and will not install. (unless you
force it to). You don't have to worry.

If you do want to download packages manually and install them with dpkg
-i, and have dependencies to worry about, either install the depended-on
package first, or just install them all at once - dpkg -i <packagename>
<packagename> ... works just fine.
--
Jon-o Addleman