Re: pcmcia install on IBM laptop

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 07:26:01AM -0600, Mark Zimmerman wrote......

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:12:31AM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> >
> > I'm installing stable onto an IBM 560X from a FD boot and then FTP.
> >
> > Most of the install has been uneventful, but getting the PCMCIA to work
> > (and then networking so as to FTP install) has been problematic.
> >
> > I'm using a Xircom CreditCard CEM56-100 (ether 10/100 + modem56) as my
> > pcmcia card.
> >
> > During the install, in the "Configure PCMCIA Support" section, it asks
> > whether my pcmcia controller is i82365 or tcic:  I presume i82365.
> >
> > It next asks for Controller Options, which I leave blank.  Same for Core
> > Options and Card Manager Options.  I suspect somewhere in here I need to
> > input an option or two, but I've search google hi and lo but haven't
> > found the magic answer yet.
> >

> Except for the card (I have a 3com with ethernet only) my setup is the
> same as yours. I never specified any options and I never had any
> trouble. I suspect that there must be some trick to working with a
> combination ethernet/modem card.
>
> One of the other VTs (#3 I think) has log messages. Maybe there is a
> clue there.

I tried a different tact -- DL'd the 20 floppies from debian.org and
installed Woody via FD.  So now I've got the system installed, but I
still do not have internet connectivity.

I can't recreate the whole output of dmesg from this box, but I have
typed in a few of the relevant lines:

xirc2ps_cs.c 1.31 1998/12/09 19:32:55 (dd9jn+kvh)
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x200-0x207 0x220-0x22f
0x388-0x38f 0x3b8-0x3df 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0208-0x021f: clean.
cs: 6 more similar, all clean
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: excluding 0xcf8-0xcff
eth0: autonegotiation failed; using 10mbs
eth0: MII selected
eth0: media 10BaseT, silicon revision 5
eth0: Xircom: port 0x300, irq 3, hwaddr 00:80:C7:0B:4E:3E
tty03 at 0x02e8 (irq=3) is a 16650A

I'm trying to figure out what the line about autonegotiation failed
means, and whether that will point me towards my problem.

I believe I've got the right modules loaded -- from lsmod --

serial_cs
xirc2ps_cs
ds
i82365
pcmcia_core

And a check of ifconfig gives all of the correct internet setup info.

What am I missing here?  I can tell it's going to be one of those "duh,
why didn't I see that?!"

Thanks
Kevin

--