mail accounts

Set-up:
Postfix
Procmail
uw-imap / popssl

1) For procmail to work eith user specific filters I assume I need to create each user a ~/ directory but do not require them to have /etc/passwd entries. True?

2) I can configure imap to work on cram-MD5 file formats. Can I do the same for pop-ssl? Where do I find this info. Currently it's configured as PAM and I don't know anything about that.

3) Can I configure postfix to take authentication as well? cram-md5 file formats? This I really don't know much about.

The object here really is to be able to develop a server that can have imap/pop clients for mail receipt and delivery without all the clients having a user-account.
How?

--
egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic
algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.