A little daemon

Hi

I need to have a little daemon wich runs as root and receaves commands wich
it executes and then
sends back the reult code of the commands. It should be very simple - no
fancy stuff.

I firstly thought about a little perl script sich listens to a Socket... Is
this a good idea (please
don't tell me that its not a good idea to run such things as root but i need
it and i wont be a
security risk :-)) )? I never did such things in perl... Can you give me
some hints? e.g how do i
detach wich a perl script from the console. What is the best communication
method to use?

cheers,
Raffaele