Re: networking prob

Hiya Kevin,

I assume that after the route command finishes you are still not on the
network. But i am not 100% clear on that from you letter. I know of a
temporary fix for this that may(??) work for you. I also have a Linksys
Cable/DSL router. Hopefully someone will respond with a real fix. Also, maybe
someone(a network guru to me) can explain a little better to me what the
-pointopoint option is in ifconfig with more detail than the man page. I
worked pretty hard to figure this out when I had trouble getting online and
needed to do it manually. I cracked open several man pages and did much
reading. The numbers used here are examples only. Here it is....

P3V4X:~# ifconfig eth0 down

P3V4X:~# ifconfig eth0 inet netmask 255.255.255.0 -pointopoint 192.168.1.100
address 192.168.1.100

P3V4X:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

P3V4X:~# route add default gw 192.168.1.1

P3V4X:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Hope that helps somehow, and good luck,

Jimmy Richards