Compiling question

Hey all!

I recently installed Debian on my computer, and I'm trying to set up my
ethernet card.  It's a 3com 3c905B card.  After some searching, I found a
linux driver on 3com's website.  Unfortunately, it was compiled for an older
kernel, so I had to recompile.  This was what I was supposed to type:

gcc -c 3c90x.c -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer \
	       -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 \
	       -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=486 \
	       -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__

also, since it was a new kernel, I was supposed to do this:
    + Adding -I/usr/src/linux/include to the command line if you've
	upgraded the kernel (assuming kernel source is in /usr/src/linux/include)

so I dselected the kernel source, bunziped it, untarred it, and renamed it
to linux (under /usr/src.)

Now, it compiles fine, but then when I insmod it, I get an error saying it
was compiled for the old kernel...

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I'm lost and have no idea what to
do now...

thanks!
dave