Re: [OT] Cordless MouseMan Optical

On Sat, Mar 31, 2001 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:
> Well, I recently bought a non-cordless (cordful? corded?
> cord-bearing?) optical MouseMan, and it's very nice.  You'll
> appreciate having an optical mouse, especially if you're at the point
> where it seems like you have to clean your current mouse every couple
> days.
>
> I'm not sure if mine is supposed to have four buttons (yeah, I know
> how stupid that sounds) -- I vaguely remember it being advertised as
> 4-button, but I didn't care as long as it had at least 3 and it didn't
> come in a retail box (I got a $19 price on pricewatch).  Basically, it
> has a wheel with a typical button on each side of the wheel, and a
> third button where your thumb rests (it's comfortably ergonomic, BTW).
> Also, pressing down on the wheel counts as a button--basically, it
> seems to work as another third button.
>
> Being optical doesn't present any compatibility issues.  Mine is USB
> but comes with a PS/2 attachment so I can use it as PS/2, and I just
> used the PS/2 MouseMan driver in X.
>
> I guess the real question for you is whether or not cordless mice have
> compatibility problems... that I can't answer, since I know very
> little about cordless mice.

Well my current mouse is a logitech cordless mouseman, and there are no
problems there, but the scroll wheel has just gone bust - I figured that
I'd got it set up wrongly in Linux, but it turns out it was actually
broken. I guess I'm really just curious as to whether it's possible to
actually put the fourth mouse button (under the thumb) to any use.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,