Problems with 8139too driver in kernel 2.4.2

I've been using this driver ever since I got myself soem cheap 100MB cards
and it worked flawlessly so far. But today I tried upgrading an old machine
from 2.2.18 to 2.4.2 and it freezes upon initialization of that driver, no
matter if it is compiled as module or not.

I tried changing the card to make sure it's not a hardware fault to no
avail.

Also I was able to trace the freeze down to the following line:

/* Soft reset the chip. */
RTL_W8 (ChipCmd, (RTL_R8 (ChipCmd) & ChipCmdClear) | CmdReset);

Of course just removing this line does not help. It just freezes with the
next RTL_W8 call.

I'm not sure what's going on here, so all help is appreciated.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies since I'm not subscribed here.

P.P.S.: I tried sending this to the kernel mailing list too, but it appears
this list does not exist on vger.rutgers.edu. Does anyone know where it is
now?
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De