Re: 1 linux box: 10 simultaneous telnet sessions

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 12:04:39PM +0000, joe golden wrote:
> I'm planning on teaching a short intro to perl unit in our middle school.
>
> I have one linux box running kernel 2.2.18pre21 on our windows NT 4.0
> ethernet connected network of 9 machines.  telnet version is 0.16-4potato.1
> telnetd version is same
>

> Is it feasible to have eight telnet sessions, one from each individual NT
> workstation, into the one linbox?
>
> I think telnet is not the most elegant at timesharing with this type of
> load.  I'm not sure if it is designed for this (clunky) application.  Any
> tips on optimizing the setup for this scenario?
>
> Three students have logged in simultaneously via telnet, so I think the
> basic setup is sound, but we haven't done much yet.

Something to consider is setting up quotas and ulimits on the linux box
to stop rogue programs from sucking up all the available resources. They
are newbies, and it's awful easy to shoot yourself in the foot with perl
(wanna see my scars? :)
 You might also want to set up a monitor program in the scripting
language of your choice, to make killing off such processes easier.
Monitering all processes from a give group of users etc. Anyway, good
luck

--
Jim Richardson
	Anarchist, pagan and proud of it