Re: 1 linux box: 10 simultaneous telnet sessions

"joe golden" <jg1024@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm planning on teaching a short intro to perl unit in our middle school.
>
>I have one linux box running kernel 2.2.18pre21 on our windows NT 4.0
>ethernet connected network of 9 machines.  telnet version is 0.16-4potato.1
>telnetd version is same
>

>Is it feasible to have eight telnet sessions, one from each individual NT
>workstation, into the one linbox?
>
>I think telnet is not the most elegant at timesharing with this type of
>load.  I'm not sure if it is designed for this (clunky) application.

ssh imposes a higher load than telnet with all the cryptography, and
Linux systems with a hundred active ssh sessions perform quite
acceptably. Your system won't even notice eight telnet sessions. Beyond
that, it depends what sort of work your students will be doing, but I
doubt an introduction to Perl will be a problem either.

Note that the difference between eight open telnet sessions and eight
open xterms is negligible.