Re: Testing wants to remove most of my system...

Quoth Joey Hess,

> It's impossible to tell what you're running into since you didn't bother
> to post the actual apt message or any useful diagnostic information, but
> you might try removing base-config.

Sorry, didn't include the (quite long) output previously on the off chance
that it was something simple/obvious. The full apt-get output is included
below.

[rei:~]% sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  a2ps acct adduser alien arts auctex balsa bonobo bsdmainutils bubblemon
  bug-buddy cdrdao chbg codecommander crypt++el data-dumper debconf debhelper
  debview dh-make dia djtools eeyes emacs20 emacsen-common emusic
  enlightenment enscript equivs esound esound-clients esound-common ethereal
  extace freeamp gaim-gnome gcd gcombust gdk-imlib-dev gdm gedit ghex
  ghostview gimp1.1 gimp1.1-nonfree gimp1.1-perl glade-gnome gmc gnome-applets
  gnome-apt gnome-bin gnome-card-games gnome-control-center gnome-core
  gnome-games gnome-gataxx gnome-glines gnome-gnibbles gnome-gnobots2
  gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine gnome-gnotravex gnome-gtali gnome-gturing
  gnome-guile gnome-gv gnome-help gnome-iagno gnome-iconedit gnome-mahjongg
  gnome-media gnome-network gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pim
  gnome-pim-conduits gnome-same-gnome gnome-session gnome-stones
  gnome-terminal gnome-utils gnome-xbill gnomehack gnomeicu gnosamba gnotepad+
  gnucash gnumeric gnuserv gpasman gphoto gqmpeg gqview grdb grip gs-aladdin
  gs-pdfencrypt gtk-engines-gtkstep gtk-engines-metal gtk-engines-notif
  gtk-engines-pixmap gtk-engines-redmond95 gtkfind gtm gtop guitar gv gxanim
  gxedit helix-sweetpill hyperlatex iceconf icewm-gnome imlib-dev imlib-progs
  kaiman kmid kmidi kmix kscd latex2html libapache-asp-perl libapache-dbi-perl
  libapache-dbilogger-perl libapache-mod-perl libcapplet-dev libcapplet0
  libdbi-perl libdigest-md5-perl libesd0 libesd0-dev libgconf11
  libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2 libgdk-pixbuf2 libgimp1.1
  libgimp1.1-dev libglade-gnome0 libglade0 libgnome-dev libgnome-pilot-dev
  libgnome-pilot0 libgnome-vfs0 libgnome32 libgnomeprint12 libgnomeprint6
  libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0
  libgtk-imlib-perl libgtk-perl libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-dev libgtkhtml4
  libgtkhtml5 libgtkmm libgtkxmhtml1 libguilegtk0 libmedusa0 libnautilus0
  libobgnome0 libobgtk1 libpaperg libpgperl libsdl1.0 libsdl1.1-dev libsmpeg0
  libstorable-perl libterm-readkey-perl libwine libwine-dev libwmf0 libzvt2
  lilo linpopup lynx magicfilter mailcrypt memprof mozilla mozilla-browser
  mpage mpg123-esd mswordview mtr mysql-client mysql-server nautilus netpbm
  pan pdl perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base perl-5.004-suid perl-5.005 perl-tk
  perlmagick pkg-order premail psgml pstoedit pstotext psutils
  python-gdk-imlib python-gnome python-gtk realplayer rep-gtk rep-gtk-gnome
  sawfish sawfish-gnome sawfish-themes screem smpeg-gtv sound-monitor
  task-helix-core task-kdemultimedia task-tex telnetd timidity uae vim-gtk vlc
  vlc-gnome vlc-sdl webmagick wmakerconf wmmail wordinspect wxftp-gtk xalf
  xchat-gnome xemacs20-bin xemacs20-support xemacs21 xemacs21-bin
  xemacs21-mule xemacs21-support xfntil2 xlogmaster xmms xmms-dev xscreensaver
  xserver-xfree86 xwhois
  libperl5.6 perl perl-5.6 perl-modules
The following packages have been kept back
  fetchmail kernel-image-2.2.17
The following packages will be upgraded
  acroread bsdutils catdoc cron debian-policy diff docbook-stylesheets eperl
  fftw2 file groff hdparm ibritish ispell libhdf4g libio-stringy-perl
  libmime-base64-perl libmime-perl libmldbm-perl libstringlist0
  libtimedate-perl libxml-dev libxml1 mlock mount mutt net-tools oidentd pdksh
  perl-5.005-base perl-base shellutils ssystem stat sudo tcsh tcsh-i18n unhtml
  untex util-linux w3m wavtools wenglish xdaliclock xnetload
45 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 248 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 19.0MB of archives. After unpacking 528MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,