Re: apt question

In <[🔎] 20010304201648.A28773@mickey.lan.aokiconsulting.com>, on 03/04/01
   at 08:16 PM, Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> said:

>I am sure you have enough space on HD (like swap).

>Just do not overwrite current system.  Even if you try to hold them with
>dselect, you have broken dependency.

Yeah.  Is there a way to get into the dependency map or database and
simply tell the package manager that these programs are already installed
and configured?

My question is really quite simple.  If we make an assumption that I know
what I'm doing (I know, a really BIG assumption :)), then I manually tell
the package manager that the base system (or whatever) is installed
"perfectly"; no need to reinstall.

I guess I need to take a look at the developer info and source code to see
if this can be done.

>Gradual migration with dual boot is my suggestion.  Always maintain
>working system.  Be safe than sorry.

I learned that years ago.  Before that the Slackware boot, root, and
rescue disks saved my arse many times.

>Good luck.  Osamu

Thanks!

Fred