Re: apt question

I am sure you have enough space on HD (like swap).

Just do not overwrite current system.  Even if you try to hold them with
dselect, you have broken dependency.

You really need to install new base system.  (anything less will get you
into trouble.)

1.  Make space somewhere on HD.  (move files and unmount partition)
2.  Install minimum debian potato to new disk partition.
3.  When invoking dselect, using _ to exclude EMACS, nvi and TEX.
    Or anything looks big but you do not need to start.
    (Nothing personal.  Just too big for initial root)
4.  Mount existing other partitions and get passwd etc. transfered.
5.  Add needed programs.  Such as vim and mc.
6.  mount /home

Gradual migration with dual boot is my suggestion.  Always maintain
working system.  Be safe than sorry.

Slack and debian uses different uids.  Just make consistent.  I heard
debian can use same uid range as slack.

Good luck.  Osamu

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +
+   Fingerprint: 814E BD64 3288 40E7 E88E  3D92 C3F8 EA94 D5DE 453D   +