Re: New to Linux

The Grand Oral Disseminator wrote:

Hi...

I'm new to Linux, let's start with saying that! But I am thnking about installing Linux on my PC (Intel PIII 667MHz)... Can you give me some information about which distribution (A free distribution, since it is just my goal to have a mere 'meeting' with Linux, to get to know it - if you wish) would be best for me (I know about the Debian Distribution), where I can downlaod it, how I should install it, what other items I need, etc...

For the moment I am running MS Windows 2000, I also wonder how am I going to make my PC into a dual boot machine?

Since this is a Debian list, you'll generally get the response "Use Debian". Not wanting to break with the community spirit, let me suggest that you use Debian. :-)

There are other distros that are easier to install (well, actually, easier to get working with your modem/graphics setup/printer/etc), but once set up properly, Debian is the premier distro, and once you get spoiled to it, you'll never want to go to any other. In addition, I believe Debian is the "purest" Linux distro, so much so that it's not even called Debian Linux, but rather Debian GNU/Linux. There are philosophical reasons for adopting Debian over those other folks.

However, if you're just trying to get a look-see at Linux and aren't interested in the principles of Freedom in software - shame on you :-) - and want something that is minimal hassle to take it for a spin, you might do better to get hold of a Storm or Corel CD (both of which are "Debian-based"); the next choice for a beginner might be Mandrake. However, any distro you choose will get you started. You'll have fun, as well as frustration, and when you do eventually get hooked and then eventually try Debian, you'll ask, "Why didn't I start here to begin with?!"

There are documents for dual-booting, but for now, the easiest method would be to simply tell the Debian installer to not make the hard drive bootable and to make a boot floppy and to use the boot floppy to boot into Debian. If you use another distro, I'm not sure what the best method is.

Probably the best place to get started, if you're going to use Debian, is to read the Installation Instructions at: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#new-inst From the table on that page you'll need to choose which architecture (Intel x86), format (HTML?), and language (English?) to access the appropriate instructions. Those pages are pretty step-by-step. If you have further questions after reading that, post again on this list.

You might also post what part of the world you're in; you might have a Debianite close by that would be willing to loan/burn/give you a CD and act as an "elmer" (teacher/friend/guide) to help get you going.

Welcome to the world of Linux.

Kent