Re: X-WINDOW-MANAGER

Generally, I just create a .xsession file in my home directory to start
whichever windowmanager I want.  You basically just exec [wm command], like
this:

exec wmaker   # (for WindowMaker)

- or -

exec blackbox # (for Blackbox)

- or -

exec startkde # (for KDE)

etc...

You can also setup startup programs in .xsession - just put them before the
exec line.  This is handy for starting dockapps and such under
wmaker/blackbox.

I admit, I haven't played around much with the update-alternatives command -
haven't had much need, as the above works well for me =)  Switching window
managers is as easy as editing the exec line to point at the new one.
Perhaps someone more familiar with update-alternatives could comment on the
lockup issue?

IIRC, .bashrc is executed by non-login shells, and .bash_profile is executed
by login shells (confirmation anyone?) -- is it possible that you're
starting a login shell (and this executing .bash_profile, and ignoring
.bashrc)?  I believe some other distros actually do a check in .bash_profile
for the existance of .bashrc, and execute it if it's found.  Just checked my
.bash_profile - no such command there - so I don't think debian does that
(I'm a relatively new (2 months) convert to debian, so I'm still getting my
sealegs ;) )

Hopefully this helps =)

-b3