RE: Getting to the GUI...

Ahh...  Don't give up yet, there's still my sound card to configure!!!!!

The next step will be a little harder... figuring out how to get either
GNOME or KDE installed.  That ought to be good for the other 4 weeks!

On the other hand, I was very pleased to get networking up in under an hour.
Let's here it for that O'Reilly book again, plus a little sweat (previous
experience) getting it up on Mandrake as well.  Plus I used DSL and a
hardware Firewall that acts as a DHCP server for the LAN side.

This caused me to uncover some weirdness how I assumed I could configure/use
LILO.  I had a head scratching moment when I tried to insmod rtl8139.  If
gave me a whole bunch of dependency errors.  I was beginning to dread
another long haul.  SO I figured that I better try depmod -a and see what
popped up.  Well what popped up was a complaint about modules not being
found in /lib/modules/2.2.17.blah.mdk./...  What the heck was Debian doing
looking for modules in a Mandrake directory.  Then light dawned on
Marblehead!  I booted from the LILO floppy I made as apart of the original
Debian install and everything flew.  So now there's a little more to learn
about LILO.

As for "our little twisted corner of the computing world...!"  If it's
really that twisted then it is a good  match.

Cheers,
-rick