Re: Broken reverse DNS - after recent bind upgrade?

Bind upgrade to 8.2.3 also breaks some other things...namely it´s not as
tolerant to sloppy configs like it´s predecessors.

>From one of my colleagues (anonymized, was on an internal mailing-list):

--------------------------------
Seems to me that someone in Nominum/ISC finally chained himself to the
chair and rewrite the syntax parser from scratch. Now syntax checks are
stricter and zones are rejected due to things that didn't even produce a
warning in the previous versions.

One example is when people, trying to keep things in a "good looking"
fashion, use the syntax like:

@	SOA	ns.XXX.net.	hostmaster.XXX.net.
	(
		2000101000
	)

instead of (standardly recommended):

@	SOA	ns.XXX.net.	hostmaster.XXX.net.	(
		2000101000
	)

Strictly speaking, the first way of writing is wrong: the brackets are
used to tell the server process to treat the next line as continuation
of the previous one. Following that recommendation, the latter form is
right - the open bracket should be in the first row.

We are not the only ones affected by this change in 8.2.3: many people
complained on the BIND mailing list last few days. Nominum statement
about those complaints are: "Please, follow the standards and don't
bother us with stupid questions".

JIC somebody besides me has gotten himself in there :/

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /