Re: Package management, involuntary upgrade

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:20:02PM +0100, Ameurlain Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
>   I would like to know if there's a simple start document about
> debian package management (e.g. an howto). dpkg, apt-get, dselect
> are mighty but quite hard to really understand.
> I would also like to have a description of the sort of link there
> are beetween package, an also a description of package states :)

i crafted one concerning mostly apt-get, tho it touches on some
of the dpkg features -- it's at

http://www.eGroups.com/files/newbieDoc/apt-get-intro.html

> Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.3-10 (using .../libc6_2.2.1-1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> Replacing files in old package ldso ...
>
> I didn't want that, but ... it happened. Now i'm quite nervous
> about my running http (compiled one), postmaster (deb package) etc.
> Are there reasons for me to be nervous ?

i've seen discussion on this type of topic recently -- but it
passed over my head without making any stops :) ... maybe
someone else who's eavesdropping can say for sure.

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc