Re: apt- source.list

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 03:49:08AM +0100, Norman Schmidt wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Another apt-problem...
>
> I use dselect to maintain my potato servers and fetch my files via ftp.

from slink (2.1) onward, the recommended choise is APT-GET...

> At the moment, my list for the packages looks like this:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/debian potato main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/debian potato/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security potato/updates contrib main non-free
>
> Now I want to add the lines to get the updates. Do I need and if yes,
> how do I include the paths?
>
> ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/debian/dists/proposed-updates
> 	(which is a link to potato-proposed-updates in the same directory)
>
> Since I use the non-US-version, do I need (and how do I get)
>
> deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/proposed-updates ?
>
> The problem seems to be that the proposed-updates - directories are not
> under a special distribution. I do not know how to tell this to
> apt/dselect.
> The manpage doesn´t make this clear to me...
>
> And one last one: What do I have to add to get sources as well?
>
> Thanx a lot, Norman.

main thing to try is

	apt-setup

to set your sources.list...

my 'potato' sources.list looks mostly like this:

	# deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
	# deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

	# VERY IMPORTANT -- SECURITY PLUGS:
	deb http://security.debian.org potato/updates main contrib non-free

	deb http://ftp.digex.net/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
	# deb-src http://ftp.digex.net/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
	deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
	# deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

use mirrors that are shortest hops from you (try traceroute
to see which respond best).

frequently do

	apt-get update

and then

	apt-get upgrade

to make sure the packages you've got installed are kept sparkly
fresh.

	http://www.eGroups.com/files/newbieDoc/apt-get-intro.html

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc