Re: Can't "talk" to user on same machine

Brian Frederick Kimball wrote:

Kent West wrote:

My "/etc/inetd.conf file looks like:
. . .
talk dgram udp wait nobody.tty /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.talkd
#<off>#
ntalk dgram udp wait nobody.tty /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
. . .

Is "#<off>#" in front of the ntalk line? The wrapping of the text
makes this difficult to parse.  IIRC you need ntalk enabled.  You can
always run tcpdump on the interface being used to see what port the
talk program is trying to connect to (that's how I found I needed ntalk
also).

No, "#<off># is on a separate line; It was on the same line, but I just moved my cursor to beyond it and hit <ENTER> to move the "ntalk . . ." line onto a separate line by itself, then restarted inetd with "/etc/init.d/inetd restart".

"tcpdump" doesn't seem to be an available command (yes, as root); nor does "locate" return anything for it. Does this indicate that I'm perhaps missing a package?

I've just now tried this on a third box (Debian), from "westk" in one xterm to "westk" in another xterm, using the command "talk pts/2" (which is the term indicated by the "tty" command of the second xterm/westk). I still get the same message, but something I may not have noticed on the other machines last night is that before the message "Checking for invitation on caller's machine" appears, the message "Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused. Press any key . . ." appears briefly.

As someone else said, make sure "msg n" hasn't been run by any of the
users you're trying to talk with.

My "/etc/hosts.deny" looks like:
ALL: PARANOID
ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
ALL: 4.16.229.105 : DENY
ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
ALL: 4.16.229.149 : DENY

This is not correct.  You need to remove " : DENY" from the end of each
line.  The second semicolon is used to specify a shell script to run,
not to specify a "target", which is what I presume you're trying to do.
Any host that matches these rules will already be denied because this is
the hosts.deny file.  See hosts_access(5) for more info.