Re: Getting Gnome desktop on woody

I have still been working on this, and I can partly answer my own
questions now...

> 0) I am used to Sawfish.  What apt-get commands can I use to get it?

# apt-get install sawfish-gnome

Notes:
	a) You must have unstable (sid) in your sources.list
	b) You want sawfish-gnome, *not* sawfish

I didn't have unstable in my sources.list so I couldn't find Sawfish.
Then, the first time I found it, I found "sawfish" instead of
"sawfish-gnome".  I wondered why Gnome was complaining that my window
manager didn't support Gnome...

For some reason, when installing sawfish-gnome, apt wanted to get rid
of mozilla!  Okay, I said, and then after sawfish-gnome installed I
used "apt-get install mozilla"; no problem bringing it back.  I wonder
why apt thought it needed to get rid of mozilla?

> 1) How do I enable the Gnome desktop?  I want the "foot" menu,
> the panel, applets, etc.

This turns out to be provided by gnome-session.  I already have
gnome-session installed, and if I manually run it I get the foot menu
and all the rest.

I suspect that what I actually want here is to somehow replace the login
prompt I now have from xdm(1) with the Gnome login prompt.  I am unsure
whether Gnome has a replacement for xdm or whether I need to modify the
behavior of xdm or what.  Once I'm logged in via the Gnome login prompt,
Gnome should start up gnome-session and everything else.

I still haven't figured out the video mode, but I have figured out that
looking at a 60Hz refresh X desktop gives me a headache! :-/
--
Steve R. Hastings		"Vita est"
steve@hastings.org		http://www.blarg.net/~steveha