Re: Why choose Debian?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Francisco M. Neto wrote:

> > I am interested in why people prefer Debian to other Linux
> > distributions.  Please explain the top few reasons why you chose Debian
> > rather than something else.

I started with Slackware and looking back I am glad because of the
necessary learning required to maintain and install software.

I inherited the administration of an Slackware-Linux-based ISP.
I tried to install Debian once but it didn't go the way I'd hoped
and I went on to other things. I installed Redhat on the mail server
because I didn't have the original Slackware CD and it went ok but
it got dated pretty quick and I didn't take the time to update any but
critical security packages.

At this point I installed Debian on my personal machines and I fell in
love. Eventually all the servers at the ISP were Debian dists. It was
exactly what I needed. Installing software and keeping all the servers
current was a trivial task even going as far as upgrading to new
distribution releases "live". The time I wasn't watching the lists and
the stable symlink to hamm was changed to slink caused me some
difficulty but other than that temporary inconvenience I have never
regretted my decision to stay with Debian.

I have since installed and tested other Redhat dists but I still
didn't care for the "feel" of it. To me Debian just seems so much
"cleaner and tighter", at least that's the only way I can describe it.

I don't think you lose with any decent distribution but I haven't
found anything that suits my way of doing things more.

Terry.

* Selterra Communications                     info@selterra.com *