Re: X development packages broken in woody?

debuser  <debuser@platinum.globalmart.com> writes:
DU> So will testing always be available? I like the idea. I'm just not
DU> used to packages being rolled back in a release. But if I have
DU> apt-get always looking at testing, maybe that's what will make me
DU> happy.

To my knowledge:

-- Testing will always be available, in the same way that stable and
   unstable are always available.

-- Packages shouldn't be rolled back, even if release-critical bugs
   are found in the packages in testing; the bugs need to be fixed,
   corrected packages uploaded to unstable, and the corrected packages
   sit in unstable without a new upload for the prerequisite amount of
   time.

The "roll-back" you saw was when the "woody" name switched over from
unstable to the newly-created testing distribution.  Testing was
populated with packages from stable, since those were known to work,
rather than from unstable; thus, most packages went back to earlier
versions if you tracked "woody" rather than "unstable".  To my
knowledge, it shouldn't ever happen again.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell