Re: Xwoes continue: tried to apt-get install xserver-common, but...

on Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 08:55:45PM -0500, DTi4565459@aol.com (DTi4565459@aol.com) wrote:

> apt-get reports xserver-common is already the newest version.
>
> Well, the newest version doesn't work.  On startx, I get the errno=111
> error message; and then after that
>
> xinit: No such process (errno3): server error

You've tried to configure your server first with, say, XF86Setup (for
XFree86 v3, not sure for v4)?

> Really, newbie is stuck, Stuck, STUCK.  TiA for clues.
>
> dave
>
> PS: I have tried to get a more verbose error message, but maybe I don't
> know how to do it right.

startx -- 2>&1 | tee startx.log

...copy this to your Legacy MS Windows system somehow (network or
msdos formatted floppy), and include it in your AOL (ugh! ;-) mail
message.