Re: How Do I Put a Package On Hold?

on Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 02:33:59AM +0000, Colin Watson (cjw44@flatline.org.uk) wrote:
> kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >on Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 08:41:45PM -0500, Mark Rahner
> >(mark_rahner@sparta.com) wrote:
> >> I'm trying to upgrade from a mixed potato/woody to a woody.  I edited
> >> my sources.list file, ran "apt-get update", then "apt-get
> >> dist-upgrade".  This procedure results in an attempt to remove
> >> kernel-image-2.2.17.  I don't want to do this because I'm running a
> >> custom kernel to support Win4Lin.
>
> kernel-image-2.2.17 sounds like a package from Debian, unless it's one
> you compiled yourself with kernel-package. Are you sure that it will
> actually be a problem? (It's safe to have no kernel-image package
> installed.)

Doh!  I shoulda read it...<g>.

<...>

> >I *think* this works:
> >
> >    $ dpkg --get-selections > selections.out
> >    $ cp selections.out selections.in
> >    $ vi selections.in  # replace 'install' with 'hold' for desired pkgs.
> >    $ dpkg --set-selections < selections.in
> >
> >Just tried that w/o a subsequent update, it seems to have worked (didn't
> >break anything, anyhow).
> >
> >...though corrections welcomed.
>
> That should work fine, though 'dpkg --set-selections' doesn't actually
> need you to give it a full list; it will only change the packages
> mentioned in its input. Thus, this works just as well:
>
>   # echo 'packagename hold' | dpkg --set-selections
>
> ... where 'packagename' should be replaced by the name of the desired
> package, of course.

True enough (I'd tried that as well), though if you wanted to modify a
bunch of packaages' status, the full dumpt trick would work.  You only
have to feed back the modified packages.  Not that this appears to
effect performance -- execution time appears the same either way.