Re: Trouble with 2.2.14 kernel

Actually this started out as trouble with the installed kernel on my new
Ultra. I have had the repeated experience of coming into the computer room
in the morning, only to find the Sparc locked up tighter than a drum. No
nothing on the screen, although power is still on. No keystrokes or mouse
clicks return from "screen save", if that is where the machine is, and
nothing typed at the keyboard has any effect. The only recourse is to
reset the machine. Usually, on reboot, the root partition is too broken to
run without fsck, which seems to recover the system fine. There is nothing
in the logs that I can find to indicate the cause of the lockup.

OK, so I assumed that it was a kernel problem, went and got the 2.2.14
source and built a kernel, no problems. Once I got all the SCSI drivers
"built-in" and not in modules, I still fail to boot. The kernel reports 0
devices on the scsi controler, and very soon after the kernel panics
because it can't mount the root file system.

As I said, I have all the scsi devices build-in, as well as all the card
drivers, so what am I missing? I'd really like to have a stable kernel
that will stay up for more than 24 hours.

TIA,

Dwarf