Re: how to compile a kernel?

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:

> Is there a HOWTO on how to compile a kernel for sparc64?

Someone posted a URL when I was having problems (I don't have it "at
hand"), but it had very little actual information in it, other than to say
that egcs64 worked...sometimes...

Once I got the right versions of everything, I had no trouble doing the
build.

> I gather egcs64 is required for this?  This package seems to conflict with
> everything under the sun.  (no pun intended)

I don't understand. The version I have (1:19980921-1) may be a bit old,
but has no conflicts.

It is my understanding that the new gcc (2.95.x) is replacing egcs64, so
there may have had to be some conflicts instituted. I haven't had a chance
to try the new gcc on a kernel yet, but that may be the other way to keep
g77.

> Is there no way, for example, to compile a kernel on an ultrasparc while
> essential (for me) packages like g77 are installed?

Give the new gcc a try?

Luck,

Dwarf