Re: A couple of things I noticed

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> > BTW, unrelated to Sparc: Are there any plans to offer an enhanced
> > installation environment (a real shell instead of ash, nice suite of tools
> > to use in case of problems booting, etc.) on future versions of bootable
> > CD-ROMs? The current cramped install environment makes sense when floppies
> > are the preferred installation method, but these days, wouldn't it make
> > sense to offer both the stripped-down version and a beefier one?
> Although we are talking about CDROM's, the fact is the format of bootable
> CD's must be the same as a floppy. I'm not exactly sure of the technical
> reasons for this, but it is my understanding.

Booting from CD has been supported on Sun systems at least since the
sun4c (classic) came out.  The drive presents itself as a plain
512-byte block SCSI device.  Solaris CD install images simply have a
SysV bootlabel and UFS filesystems on them (UFS on a CLV device is
slow, in case you were wondering).
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz/~sam/