Ultra and Linux usf readonly...

I have been trying to install Debian (on a loop mounted root image) on the
partition containing the Sun OS. The problem is, if I understand things
correctly, that the usf file system provided by Linux is a readonly file
system, so I can't dd an image file onto the partition from the install
boot. Am I just using the wrong file system? (Is there a read/write
version of usf?)

I was looking for a way to "non-destructivly" demonstrate Debian on an
Ultra in the same way that I can on an Intel machine, using a loop mounted
root file system built into a single file. I seem to have been blocked at
every point. (Sun doesn't support loop mounts, althought I should be able
to create the bare file, it probably will not be writable either...but I
guess it's worth a try ;-)

My question boils down to: Can I mount the Sun partition read/write, or
must I blow it away and install an ext2 partition and Debian?

Waiting is,

Dwarf