Re: I have an Ultra-1 Creator.

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 07:47:09PM +0100, murphy murphy wrote:

> I installed Ultra-Penguin (RedHat based) distribution on my
> workstation. But this one is a 32-bit distribution, running
> on UltraSparc architecture.
> Is there any actually 64-bit distribution ?

No.
I'm now hacking day and night 64bit glibc, gcc changes, binutils changes and
stuff like that. I have a 64bit shared libc running on my box (but not e.g.
libm).

> How can I contribute to help your developpement ?

The best way if you want to help would be if you could torture your Ultra 1
in 64bit mode to find out the two deadly hw bugs by which any user can lock
up the machine in 64bit mode (Ultra II/IIi have only one of these), because
unless the userland is protected against these hw bugs, it does not have
much sense to play with 64bit userland. And we don't want to go the Solaris
way (on Ultra 1 not allowing 64bit apps at all).
If you'd like to do that, then lemme know.

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.3.3 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)