Re: Would like to help...

In message <[🔎] 19990315025406.A12286@helios.etherforge.com>, Ryan Zenker
writes:
>I have an ultra1 that I would love to try debian on, unfortunatly I
>have seen much information online and no sign of an unstable dist.
>I would be more than happy to help in any way I can, but the only
>ultra I have is production, so that limits my options...
>Could someone post an update of sorts about this port?
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Ryan Zenker

Here's some info I got from Steve Dunham on how to install- the install is
very similar to the UltraPenguin install (in terms of setting up and using
RARP, TFTP, etc.)

The best thing to do is a tftpboot install.  You'll need another linux
machine and a network between the two machines.

On the sparc:

  Find out it's MAC address by looking at the screen: 8:0:20:x:x:x

On the other Linux box:

* Make sure the kernel has rarp support (if it's in a module you'll have
  to load it).  "rarp -a" will tell you if you have support compiled in.

* Enable tftpd by uncommenting the tftpd line from /etc/inetd.conf.
   Then send SIGHUP to the inetd process.

* Fetch tftpboot.img from my ftp site:

    ftp://ftp.cse.msu.edu/pub/debian/install.new

  and place in /boot (world readable).

  Make a symlink from tftpboot.img to the hex IP address of the sparc, e.g.

    ln -s tftpboot.img /boot/C0A80101

  if the IP is 192.168.1.1.  Use a relative link - tftpd chroots
  into /boot.

* Also get the rest of the stuff from the "install.new" dir and export
  it via NFS to the sparc.  (The base2_1.tgz and the sun4u directory.)

* Add the rarp entry on the other Linux box:

    rarp -s 192.168.1.1 8:0:20:1:2:3

  where "192.168.1.1" is the IP of the Sparc, and "8:0:20:1:2:3" is
  the HW address.

* Now, you can start a tcpdump, if you want to watch, then type:

    "boot net"

  At the PROM prompt on the UltraSparc.

It should acquire an address, then download a large tftp image, then
boot into Linux.  You want to do configure Network before you install
the kernel or base (so you have an NFS option).  Point it at the
location of your copy of base2_1.tgz and the sun4u stuff.

After you go through "make the disk bootable" and everything and
reboot Linux should come up.  If it doesn't, try "boot disk:a"
(assuming the Linux partition is /dev/sda1).

One other caveat: the mkswap on the boot image might not work - if it
doesn't, you'll have to set up swap after you boot into Linux.

For X, you should get the xserver-mach64 from either my ftp site or
from ~iko/public_html on master (the one on master is newer and will
go into slink RSN).  If the version is 10.1 (or older) you'll also
need to grab:

  ftp://ftp.cse.msu.edu/pub/debian/XF86Config

and put it in /etc/X11.  (Anders is fixing the package to include this.)

This will give you 1152x900x16bit at a 76Hz refresh, if you want a
higher resolution, you'll have to drop down to 8bit mode.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu

--
Nils Lohner				E-Mail: lohner@debian.org